So with Sunday River celebrating its 50th season this coming weekend I felt it was high time to roll out 50 fun facts about the mountain we all know and love.
1. Sunday River is not an active volcano
2. At maximum our snowmaking system can pump out 8,000 gallons of water a minute. That is enough water to fill a 14' x 28' pool with an average depth of 5 and a half feet, in two minutes.
3. The trail T2 is so named because the t-bar lift named T2 got you to the top of Locke Mountain.
4. For the second year in a row we our offering our 12 Days of Chirstmas
where you can save on deals everyday up to and including Christmas.
5. Sunday River's original mascot was a Viking.
6. When fully open Sunday River boasts 671 acres of skiing and riding, which is the same as 671 football fields.
7. The Green Berets once used Sunday River as a training ground. I am not kidding about this one at all.
8. Sunday River has accounts on both Facebook
9. Rocking Chair was a beginner run during the first seasons here at Sunday River.
10. You can ski free on both the first and last day of the season.
11. Contrary to popular belief they do not count each snowflake as it leaves the snowflake factory.
12. The lift system at Sunday River can move 32,000 skiers an hour, so during the course of a normal ski day from 8-4 our lifts could transport the population of Portland Maine up the mountain 4 times.
13. While White Heat may be the steepest, longest, widest lift-serviced expert trail in the East, the steepest pitch on the mountain actually is on Black Hole.
14. The longest run on the mountain is Lollapalooza which is just under a mile and a half in length.
15. In celebration of our 50th anniversary you can ski and stay for just $50 mid week!
16. If you were to lay all the snowmaking pipe and hose end to end it would stretch from Bethel Maine to Pittsfield Maine, about 100 miles, which is where this snow reporter grew up...coincidence...I think not.
17. On average 1 cubic foot of snow weighs about 15 pounds, so when we receive a foot of snow across all of our marked terrain the total weight of the new snow is about 219,215 tons of snow, or about the weight of about 157 adult bull moose.
18. Aside from skiing and riding, you can also Ice Skate and Snow Tube
as well at Sunday River. Forgot your skates? We offer rentals.
19. This weekend's fire display is going to be about two times the size of the fireworks from last year's Chondola grand opening, and about 4 times larger then a normal Sunday River Fireworks show. In short it is going to be the biggest fireworks show Western Maine has ever seen.
20. Did you know that if you bring a friend to learn to ski at Sunday River
, you can ski for free?
21. Tired at the end of the ski day? Then why not kick back with our on mountain lodging? We can sleep about 6,000 people, which is slightly more then double the population of Bethel.
22. From the top of White Cap to the top of the Jordan is about 3 miles as the snowbird flies.
23. The Chondola is the only lift of its kind in the East, and took what was a 20 minute journey on two lifts to the top of North Peak to a 7 minute trip on one.
24. The Perfect Turn model of ski instruction which got it's start at Sunday River, is used in some form at resorts all across the United States.
25. The recipe to Shockwave Shrimp is more closely guarded then the Colonel's Original Recipe.
Part two of this fact filled extravaganza comes your way tomorrow!
Until then, THINK SNOW!