First year owning at Tempest Ridge.  Anyone know at what point they usually light up the snow guns on Tempest?  I know they have making snow on RoadRunner and the bottom of White Cap lift for weeks (it seems) and I realize they are trying to get Spruce up for this weekend (they have been making snow for a long time on Risky Business, surprised they didn't move to American Express).  Any idea what the priority is usually (if it is similar from year to year) for Tempest?

Views: 1584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems like most years they will push to get north peak and access to the Jordan before u get tempest. As long as road runner and tempest lift are open you won’t have to drive your car, which is nice. I bet we get it a week before Xmas

^^ this.  The exact plan varies by season and any special circumstances, but there is a fairly routine build-out starting with T2, then expanding Barker, adding South Ridge, connecting GS Hotel for ski out, getting NP/Chondi online, Spruce, ....  connecting Jordan GS is a key objective from a guest/owner experience perspective but it isn't easy - especially if Mother nature doesn't help.

Upper Tempest as a cut-over to lower Obsession often happens before all of Tempest because that completes a Grand Summit ski in/out loop.  You can walk/ski lower Tempest to home as natural/overspray/snow making allow.

Ok, this makes sense.  It isn't a huge walk to snow from my condo even right now, although it does mean an up hill walk to get home, right now.  If the upper part of Tempest had snow it wouldn't be too bad.  Hoping we get some natural snow soon so that even if Tempest isn't opened for a full load of skiers, I can get in and out for the day or lunch.  Heading up this weekend, I am hoping Spruce does open, but their latest report says "The final touches are being put on the new Spruce Peak Triple as we prepare for its big premier within the next couple of weeks" which is a lot less specific then a few days ago.

Chris - You can walk through the woods from Cascades over Wildfire to make a downhill walk to your place.  Not sure if that is easier than walking up from Roadrunner though.

McCandy likes uphill climbing anyway so they don't rush things just for him.

Yeah, the last few years the initial route other than RR to White Cap base has been snowbound-lower obsession-lower starlight.  Tempest has at times taken til after New year's to open.  There is a chance Wildfire opens before Tempest but I have a feeling the next trail to debut in that area is going to be the new Bear Paw for Green access out of the GS.

Was checking out new trail from cascades last weekend. Green? Really? There seems to be a hairpin corner that is steeper than a green would be - and narrow. Curious to see how that fares with the beginners - I see icy chute like paradigm but 10 feet wide ("Supreme Cluster Fyck Corner").

MachSki said:

Yeah, the last few years the initial route other than RR to White Cap base has been snowbound-lower obsession-lower starlight.  Tempest has at times taken til after New year's to open.  There is a chance Wildfire opens before Tempest but I have a feeling the next trail to debut in that area is going to be the new Bear Paw for Green access out of the GS.

I hiked by it, but not up it, because at the time, I was in disbelief that I was looking at the right trail. I assume it will not be required (as a easy way down) until the T-bar goes up, right? So not this year? Also, they haven't added it to the interactive trail map (frustrating that it is hard to get a normal trail map online from SR).

Nope, over easy is closed from Cascades starting this year.  Supposedly they put the fully automated HKD Klik hydrants on the trail that can be remotely fired up from control room.  Hopefully they did, those hairpins will need to be resurfaced often or they will need the trail lined with A netting!!

cnr1089 said:

I hiked by it, but not up it, because at the time, I was in disbelief that I was looking at the right trail. I assume it will not be required (as a easy way down) until the T-bar goes up, right? So not this year? Also, they haven't added it to the interactive trail map (frustrating that it is hard to get a normal trail map online from SR).

No idea how much the automated snowmakers are, but having people have to literally go out and turn on and off snowmakers manually is ridiculous.  Anyone know what the true "all on at once" capacity is? IE: Are they limited to the 6-8 trails at a time because that is the pump/water/energy capacity? Or is it because the man power needed to start up the guns, watch them, maintain them?

I thought I saw a video clip or picture of snow being made across all peaks at once (with the snow making showing up on the doppler), is it just cost prohibitive (I am sure it is expensive, but Snowmaking is what made a name for SR in the 80s early 90s).

MachSki said:

Nope, over easy is closed from Cascades starting this year.  Supposedly they put the fully automated HKD Klik hydrants on the trail that can be remotely fired up from control room.  Hopefully they did, those hairpins will need to be resurfaced often or they will need the trail lined with A netting!!

cnr1089 said:

I hiked by it, but not up it, because at the time, I was in disbelief that I was looking at the right trail. I assume it will not be required (as a easy way down) until the T-bar goes up, right? So not this year? Also, they haven't added it to the interactive trail map (frustrating that it is hard to get a normal trail map online from SR).

New Bank Slalom Course in the making

MissWynter said:

Was checking out new trail from cascades last weekend. Green? Really? There seems to be a hairpin corner that is steeper than a green would be - and narrow. Curious to see how that fares with the beginners - I see icy chute like paradigm but 10 feet wide ("Supreme Cluster Fyck Corner").

MachSki said:

Yeah, the last few years the initial route other than RR to White Cap base has been snowbound-lower obsession-lower starlight.  Tempest has at times taken til after New year's to open.  There is a chance Wildfire opens before Tempest but I have a feeling the next trail to debut in that area is going to be the new Bear Paw for Green access out of the GS.

The amount of trails that can be covered at one time is water dependant mostly.  This time of year, they make denser snow for base building (IE, more water per gun) than recovering.  So the amount of trails now is a bit reduced from what they could do.  But manpower is definitely a limiting factor as they push to the ends of the resort.  Makes a lot of distance teams have to cover.  They usually have enough teams to assign to the west or east sides, but still tacks on a bunch of distance beyond what they are dealing with now.

Problem with the automated or semi-automated (single lever control on the semi without the need to disconnect hoses after shutting down) is that the gun has to be placed very close to the actual pipe lines.  Since they auto drain after use, the hose has to be quite short to not freeze up from what I have seen.  The issue with fully automated is they either are wireless (so WiFi has to be in range) or I think they can be wired, but obviously that would be an endeavor on every trail.

cnr1089 said:

No idea how much the automated snowmakers are, but having people have to literally go out and turn on and off snowmakers manually is ridiculous.  Anyone know what the true "all on at once" capacity is? IE: Are they limited to the 6-8 trails at a time because that is the pump/water/energy capacity? Or is it because the man power needed to start up the guns, watch them, maintain them?

I thought I saw a video clip or picture of snow being made across all peaks at once (with the snow making showing up on the doppler), is it just cost prohibitive (I am sure it is expensive, but Snowmaking is what made a name for SR in the 80s early 90s).

MachSki said:

Nope, over easy is closed from Cascades starting this year.  Supposedly they put the fully automated HKD Klik hydrants on the trail that can be remotely fired up from control room.  Hopefully they did, those hairpins will need to be resurfaced often or they will need the trail lined with A netting!!

cnr1089 said:

I hiked by it, but not up it, because at the time, I was in disbelief that I was looking at the right trail. I assume it will not be required (as a easy way down) until the T-bar goes up, right? So not this year? Also, they haven't added it to the interactive trail map (frustrating that it is hard to get a normal trail map online from SR).

Thanks for the great explanation.

MachSki said:

The amount of trails that can be covered at one time is water dependant mostly.  This time of year, they make denser snow for base building (IE, more water per gun) than recovering.  So the amount of trails now is a bit reduced from what they could do.  But manpower is definitely a limiting factor as they push to the ends of the resort.  Makes a lot of distance teams have to cover.  They usually have enough teams to assign to the west or east sides, but still tacks on a bunch of distance beyond what they are dealing with now.

Problem with the automated or semi-automated (single lever control on the semi without the need to disconnect hoses after shutting down) is that the gun has to be placed very close to the actual pipe lines.  Since they auto drain after use, the hose has to be quite short to not freeze up from what I have seen.  The issue with fully automated is they either are wireless (so WiFi has to be in range) or I think they can be wired, but obviously that would be an endeavor on every trail.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service