This is an open forum to discuss your love for beer, and, or, distaste for it.

What are your favorite styles,.. brands.  Which resorts have the best, or, signature brews?  And which have the worst? etc

Views: 27328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

KC,  I am not indebted to Baxter by any means, nor, are they at the top of my Maine brewers  list. I just support local companies over global corporate monopoly whores. I am  Not asking to EVEN the playing field , just let the last kid picked take the last shot in a blowout game. then watch the crowd reaction.

You accountant types need to stop worrying about Margins and learn to enjoy a better product, even if it cost more.   KC,  a season pass at Lost Valley is $ 249. Does that mean we should all run there for the value??  It's a cheap, easily accessible, entry level product.

However,  "under contract doesn't warrant distributors installing HD flatscreens and buying trips on "some bars" properties. In fact, it's against the law.  But big money talks.  i DON'T have a problem with Bud products being available.  That's just naive. BUT  why,.. at North Peak,  a 6 foot long bar with 4 taps, is the only options from InBev... ooops I forgot,  they also have can options.  Bud Light Lime, Shocktop, BudLight,  and some kinda of Strawberita

Point being,   I know we can't escape the grip of InBev.  Hell, even the king of beers couldn't run from them.  But that doesn't make it right.

KC said:

Doesn't sound like you have your economical ducks in a row based on what I've heard...

Some bars are under contract with specific distributors, and simply don't have access to smaller breweries' products; further, Maine and NH beer margins aren't anywhere near the margins on nationally ranked breweries. Believe me, I'd love to have Maine brews on the taps at SR, but the reward for SR (margins) just isn't there...bringing in your beloved Baxter IPA (if it is even available through SR's distributor) at half the margins SR gets on a keg of Goose Island doesnt sell them enough additional beer to make any sense, unless they bump their already high prices up 20 to 40%...just to break even.

Brought up the same theme this summer with mgmt.  I agree with KC that we did not discuss their options in terms of what there distributor can/would provide.  But I did state that I usually retreat to our condo off Roadrunner for sudsy beverages since my fridgebis stocked with what I like (Sammy) and the mountain is not.  Hell, even Delta has Sam on board now that it comes in cans!

I don't know much about the regulated distribution system in Maine. But, the laws in Mass. are archaic and give the distributors coercive power over local craft breweries. This is some recent controversy over "pay to play" practices in Mass.:

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/10/15/state-investigating-...

So many things I could say about this reply!!! Too funny.

You were just blasting about your free Baxter brews last week, I guess you don't owe them anything since you posted your beer review on this site?? IMO, Baxter beer doesn't breach the top 10 of Maine's breweries, but that's just an opinion.

Accountants need to stop worrying about margins and worry about margins??? I'm a patron in the whole equation...not the accountant. So, in this particular case: your point is...well, pointless. I (a patron) prefer higher quality products versus cheaper substitutes...probably why I ski at Sunday river versus Lost Valley?

And what is that quote (something you came up with, I certainly didn't say it) you mentioned about contracts and flat screens? It doesn't make sense in the context of a distributors contract...how is a distributors contract illegal?!? Big money?! How is big money keeping a maine brewery out of SR's pubs?

All in good fun on my end, I hope you're not taking all this the wrong way...we're on the same team, just playing devil's advocate with the economic stuff.

What does the shipyard at white cap serve for beers? Do they have a good mix of shipyard options or just thumper/export?

I'd love to see a Sierra Nevada tap anywhere at SR...I bet BobR would too.

CartMan! said:

KC,  I am not indebted to Baxter by any means, nor, are they at the top of my Maine brewers  list. I just support local companies over global corporate monopoly whores. I am  Not asking to EVEN the playing field , just let the last kid picked take the last shot in a blowout game. then watch the crowd reaction.

You accountant types need to stop worrying about Margins and learn to enjoy a better product, even if it cost more.   KC,  a season pass at Lost Valley is $ 249. Does that mean we should all run there for the value??  It's a cheap, easily accessible, entry level product.

However,  "under contract doesn't warrant distributors installing HD flatscreens and buying trips on "some bars" properties. In fact, it's against the law.  But big money talks.  i DON'T have a problem with Bud products being available.  That's just naive. BUT  why,.. at North Peak,  a 6 foot long bar with 4 taps, is the only options from InBev... ooops I forgot,  they also have can options.  Bud Light Lime, Shocktop, BudLight,  and some kinda of Strawberita

Point being,   I know we can't escape the grip of InBev.  Hell, even the king of beers couldn't run from them.  But that doesn't make it right.

KC said:

Doesn't sound like you have your economical ducks in a row based on what I've heard...

Some bars are under contract with specific distributors, and simply don't have access to smaller breweries' products; further, Maine and NH beer margins aren't anywhere near the margins on nationally ranked breweries. Believe me, I'd love to have Maine brews on the taps at SR, but the reward for SR (margins) just isn't there...bringing in your beloved Baxter IPA (if it is even available through SR's distributor) at half the margins SR gets on a keg of Goose Island doesnt sell them enough additional beer to make any sense, unless they bump their already high prices up 20 to 40%...just to break even.

I heard the exclusivity check was seven figures.  If that's even close to true, that's a big nut to crack.

ROADTRIP across Maine may be in order to settle the debate of best in the state.

Getting back CartMan's original post:

I love IPA - latest faves include Unita Hop Nosh and 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die.

Also like the trend towards canning craft brews for many reasons. I think Baxter started it in Maine and they have a fine lineup.

Don't like anything from Shipyard and other Pugsley startups as their Ringwood yeast has a a metallic taste to me (diacetyl?). The exception being HSA.

I'm a big IPA fan - For Maine brews, I like the Bissell Bros Substance Ale and the Rising Tide Calcutta Cutter. 

Are you sure?  I didn't think all Shipyard brews use that Ringwood yeast, unless something changed.  I thought Old Thumper was the first to use it. 

Glade Monkey said:

Don't like anything from Shipyard and other Pugsley startups as their Ringwood yeast has a a metallic taste to me (diacetyl?). The exception being HSA.

The List.  I have tried a good portion.  One thing is sure,  Beer is ubiquitous and no state does it better than the other.  Well maybe VT is a little better.  HA!

http://mainebrewersguild.org/all-brewers/

If Boyne has a contract with a particular distributor then that is a total shame.  It takes the decisions out the bar managers hands.   We don't have the issue at the Bush.  The bar managers rule which results in a mix of everything including the most recent releases and seasonal specialties that are rare.

KC

you bring any Heady Topper back from Vt. last weekend?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service