If there was one, my first card would read " Open the North Peak Chair at 8am on weekends and Holidays so that I can leave the South Ridge area at first chair and continue to ski North Peak w/o having to crowd the Chondi as new skiers arrive".  What else ...... ???

Views: 6497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boom.

well put.

Skiers/Riders should already know this and appreciate that everyone is maximizing the efficiency of the lift.

lifties that can’t organize the line to fill each chair should be educated to more effectively do their job. 

Glade Monkey said:

Seems simple: no wasted chairs whenever there is a line.

Pairs of doubles should double up. Otherwise singles can join groups which don't fill the chair.

If the singles line gets long, let them go once in awhile too.

We also do the "excuse me are you only two...?" and move ahead to improve efficiency in the lines.

As long as chairs are filled with a line/lines present, it shouldn’t matter how skiers/riders organize in the line.

root cause of the issue is the Lifty not filling chairs. 

They got it figured out at south ridge, shouldn’t be an issue anywhere else.

MissWynter said:

For me it's all in my mood lol. Days when lines are big - I'll double up with folks. Yesterday - eh, couldn't be bothered, maybe a minute difference. But if another two joined up - wouldn't care. Maybe groups of 4 behind will get worked up?  Never thought of it from that angle. Then they can play matchmaker :)

MAC said:

Who is to say that if there are two people in line that they don't expect people to join them on the lift? Whether it be another pair or a couple of singles? Why is it that initial pairs responsibility to get four people together? That doesn't seem to make much sense. If another pair wants to hop in, ask. If there are singles than hop aboard. 

Wheelie said:

MB suggestion fixes that, a lifty looks over and sees the single line a mile long and says ok 2 from this single line and 2 from that single line go up as 4. do that evertime after all the front groups have gone up with no singles. I admit it takes a little thought and energy and maybe this leads back to the quality of employees they are getting. 

but if the single line is so long its out of the corral there is nothing stopping people from the single line from saying, this is ridiculous wanna double, triple, quadruple up?

Mike Dann said:

I agree with taking 2 singles from each side should be done often but they seem to never do that, I also double up in line just making the point if the singles line is ridiculously long then not the time to do it.
Makes me crazy at Spruce when clueless people just follow the group in front of them out.

I never said they didn't expect it, just wondered if some people thought that. the word oblivious was harsh, maybe they just don't care about waiting in line. 

Its not the initial pairs responsibility at all if they want to stand there like sheeple I don't care (I prefer it) but don't complain about long lift lines or give me sh!t for "doubling up" to the front. 

MAC said:

Who is to say that if there are two people in line that they don't expect people to join them on the lift? Whether it be another pair or a couple of singles? Why is it that initial pairs responsibility to get four people together? That doesn't seem to make much sense. If another pair wants to hop in, ask. If there are singles than hop aboard. 

Wheelie said:

MB suggestion fixes that, a lifty looks over and sees the single line a mile long and says ok 2 from this single line and 2 from that single line go up as 4. do that evertime after all the front groups have gone up with no singles. I admit it takes a little thought and energy and maybe this leads back to the quality of employees they are getting. 

but if the single line is so long its out of the corral there is nothing stopping people from the single line from saying, this is ridiculous wanna double, triple, quadruple up?

Mike Dann said:

I agree with taking 2 singles from each side should be done often but they seem to never do that, I also double up in line just making the point if the singles line is ridiculously long then not the time to do it.
Makes me crazy at Spruce when clueless people just follow the group in front of them out.

New lifts and new terrain as follows:(The slope chart is for the yellow lift).

This plan would include:

• New Base area at the bottom of Jordan
  • New CLF4 chairlift (blue lift) connecting Jordan base to the Kansas/Cyclone intersection at Aurora, providing access to all 8 peaks and providing tandem lift access to the top of Oz from the Jordan base. On days when Jordan is on wind hold, this set up would be much appreciated. 
  • New CLF4 chairlift connecting the Jordan base to new terrain on the adjacent 2650ft peak (which is actually called Jordan Mtn.). This lift would have a midstation unloading area next to the Jordan Hotel.
  • New CLD4 chairlift on "2650ft Jordan Mtn." providing access to new terrain, consisting of Rogue Angel / Excalibur like cruisers, and extensive gladed terrain in between.
  • [Not on map] Replacement for the aging Barker Mountain Express. As of now this 1987 Yan detachable quad (retrofitted by Poma in 1996 following the infamous Quicksilver Accident) is in its 30th season, and having one of the longest seasons in New England (therefore logging more hours per year than most lifts and experiencing more wear and tear), it is due for replacement. It seems like every few weeks Barker is down due to mechanical failure. Some things, such as tower tubes, sheaves, Omega Quad Chairs, and possibly terminal masts could be reused, but everything else should be replaced. From a marketing standpoint, bubbles wouldn't be a terrible idea, but that would cause wind issues, and the last thing mountain ops needs is wind issues on both workhorse lifts. 
  • Other:
    • Increased snowmaking on Oz to ensure that the terrain is open. Personally, I love it when Oz has enormous whalebacks all over it from snowmaking.
    • Partial grooming (similar to what they have done to Vortex, where they groom about half and let the other half bump up) on less used trails in high traffic areas, such as Downdraft and Top Gun.

Simmer down now!

(unless you are the Mainer who won $500mil+ buying Powerball tix in NH)

Obviously not all at once, and not likely in the next 5 to 10 years, I'm just thinking in terms of the long term growth of the mountain.

That being said, any growth is dependent on several factors, the biggest being whether or not the owner is confident that they can make a profitable investment to the mountain. Boyne has little authority over this (however they likely do have a say in it) because they just run the mountain for the holding company, formerly CNL, and now Ski Resort Holdings LLC. CNL was confident that they could invest in their mountains early on in their ownership, including South Peak at Loon, the Sugarloaf 2020 plan, and the Chondola at the River, but then the Spillway accident took place, and then King Pine and Spruce, and the awful (and expensive for the ownership) snow year of 2015-16. For years before CNL actually sold all of its mountains, they wanted out of the ski business (starting with the sale of Bretton Woods in 2015), largely because of the series of lift accidents and even the effects of the recession on the New England ski industry. It's worth noting that lift installations in New England had been below the 7 lift per year average since the recession, and reached a post-recession high of 8 installations this past construction season. Because CNL wanted out, they didn't invest in new equipment. Now that S-R-H owns Sunday River, Loon, and Sugarloaf (among other ex-CNL mountains across the country), there is the potential for the new ownership to invest in its mountains. It will likely take a few good snow years in a row (resulting in higher profit and increased skier visits), but only time will tell. If S-R-H does become confident that they can profit in the long run from investments on the mountain (including but not limited to terrain expansion and new on-mountain infrastructure), they will do so. If they don't, then we'll know it because in ten years everything will still be the same. 

Glade Monkey said:

Simmer down now!

(unless you are the Mainer who won $500mil+ buying Powerball tix in NH)

Good to dream but SR has a lot to do within current area boundaries before they worry about additional lifts and terrain.  Fixing Barker should be at the very top of the list followed by fixing the aging snowmaking system and piping as well as the lodges. 

Be nice to add more terrain, but no reason too until SR can actually properly take care of the existing terrain and make more snow.   They also need more people - if everything is open, it still usually isn't crowded enough to need more space.  Automated snowmaking,  lodges,  more activities first.

Unless the upcoming school vacation weeks have great conditions and weather, this season isn’t going to be a positive one for the ski business investors. Arctic conditions over Xmas & New Years, then this washed out MLK weekend must be making a big hit in the number of day tickets sold.

$105 for 79 trails anyone?

this coming week hopefully saves a disaster with a much needed storm or 2

Glade Monkey said:

Unless the upcoming school vacation weeks have great conditions and weather, this season isn’t going to be a positive one for the ski business investors. Arctic conditions over Xmas & New Years, then this washed out MLK weekend must be making a big hit in the number of day tickets sold.

Not sure where you see that, midweek is iffy right now due to the Arctic push and looks like next weekend is followed by another thaw.

Mike Dann said:

this coming week hopefully saves a disaster with a much needed storm or 2

Glade Monkey said:

Decent plan, pretty sure the beyond Jordan was on the board back when LBO dreamed up the Jordan village.  The lift going to Aurora, start it at your base but move the line and top to the right and top it out just west and above Witch Way.  Then it could be more than a connector lift, it could serve flying monkey, poppy fields, a new liftline run and if it topped high enough, Oz too.  However, way too much to catch up on inside the current boundaries.  When they can't even cover all the Snowmaking trails they have now, the last thing they need is even more.  Barker needs to be upgraded first for lifts, something should be considered for White Cap (whether that just be a carpet upgrade to Tempest or a whole new lift set-up), and an Aurora upgrade would be welcome.  The west water feed for the Snowmaking system is a must and if adequate Snowmaking staff are forward looking concerns, automating the system over major areas should be considered.

Max Hart said:

New lifts and new terrain as follows:(The slope chart is for the yellow lift).

This plan would include:

• New Base area at the bottom of Jordan
  • New CLF4 chairlift (blue lift) connecting Jordan base to the Kansas/Cyclone intersection at Aurora, providing access to all 8 peaks and providing tandem lift access to the top of Oz from the Jordan base. On days when Jordan is on wind hold, this set up would be much appreciated. 
  • New CLF4 chairlift connecting the Jordan base to new terrain on the adjacent 2650ft peak (which is actually called Jordan Mtn.). This lift would have a midstation unloading area next to the Jordan Hotel.
  • New CLD4 chairlift on "2650ft Jordan Mtn." providing access to new terrain, consisting of Rogue Angel / Excalibur like cruisers, and extensive gladed terrain in between.
  • [Not on map] Replacement for the aging Barker Mountain Express. As of now this 1987 Yan detachable quad (retrofitted by Poma in 1996 following the infamous Quicksilver Accident) is in its 30th season, and having one of the longest seasons in New England (therefore logging more hours per year than most lifts and experiencing more wear and tear), it is due for replacement. It seems like every few weeks Barker is down due to mechanical failure. Some things, such as tower tubes, sheaves, Omega Quad Chairs, and possibly terminal masts could be reused, but everything else should be replaced. From a marketing standpoint, bubbles wouldn't be a terrible idea, but that would cause wind issues, and the last thing mountain ops needs is wind issues on both workhorse lifts. 
  • Other:
    • Increased snowmaking on Oz to ensure that the terrain is open. Personally, I love it when Oz has enormous whalebacks all over it from snowmaking.
    • Partial grooming (similar to what they have done to Vortex, where they groom about half and let the other half bump up) on less used trails in high traffic areas, such as Downdraft and Top Gun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service