Anyone see this?

This is really sad.

I left on Monday, so wasn't up there last night. I do have a security camera facing the hill, but it only records on big motion (it recorded the groomers at 10:15-10:25 last night).  

My kids have always asked to bring sleds up and I always have said no, but now I have good hard proof of why it would be a bad idea.

Views: 1381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This has been a very sad event that has happened.  Please realize that any foot tracks or sled tracks will be followed heavily on the hill.  Do not trespass.  Do not go sledding.  There are many of us working in the dark that can not see everyone and everyone can not see us.  Winch cables on groomers are out at night.  Snowmakers are running around hauling around hoses and guns.  Please stay off the mountain.  This situation was tragic and it's not okay.  Please stay off the hill after hour.  To all those involved with this incident try and keep your head up as best as you can.  We don't ever want to see something like this happen on the mountain

What I heard was they were staying somewhere in the Tempest Ridge or adjacent condos and hiked up the steep part of Tempest.  That's a hell of a run on a sled.  God knows I am guilty of sledding at the hill after hours but always knew what was relatively safe.  On more than one occasion I have bailed off the sled to save myself.  These kids must have been going way too fast.  It's too bad.

I don't have any more information, but that is a long walk from Tempest Ridge to the steeper part (where Jib comes in). And you could easily get huge speed just from the tempest ridge part to the bottom (and would probably hit the lift station or White Cap lodge). I am guessing they were on the higher Lock Mountain condos.

On a related note, this past week, I had friends up.  One of my friends (against my repeated warnings) decided to take his 5 year old, who is a very fast, out of control snow plower, down Tempest, because they wanted to ski to our condo (and didn't want to have to walk up the parking lot from Roadrunner).  I was on the lift at the time when I saw them come down and it was extremely scary.  The 5 year old going full speed down the hill in a spiral (from the top of tempest...Note, it was an icy day, but I don't think he would have been ok on anything but deep snow to slow him down) all the way bottom of Jibe/Heat's On.  If I was in this situation, I would have skied my ass off to catch him below and stop his fall, but he doesn't have that capability.  There was lots of screaming from the chair lift.  Could have been a similar incident (although both of them were wearing helmets).

Hawk said:

What I heard was they were staying somewhere in the Tempest Ridge or adjacent condos and hiked up the steep part of Tempest.  That's a hell of a run on a sled.  God knows I am guilty of sledding at the hill after hours but always knew what was relatively safe.  On more than one occasion I have bailed off the sled to save myself.  These kids must have been going way too fast.  It's too bad.

Well said/written! Very good points. Thanks for posting!

Ian McCluskey said:

This has been a very sad event that has happened.  Please realize that any foot tracks or sled tracks will be followed heavily on the hill.  Do not trespass.  Do not go sledding.  There are many of us working in the dark that can not see everyone and everyone can not see us.  Winch cables on groomers are out at night.  Snowmakers are running around hauling around hoses and guns.  Please stay off the mountain.  This situation was tragic and it's not okay.  Please stay off the hill after hour.  To all those involved with this incident try and keep your head up as best as you can.  We don't ever want to see something like this happen on the mountain

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service