no snow making for 2 seasons now and only open a few days each of the last 2 seasons. What's up Sunday River

Views: 2034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We asked for his passport, birth certificate, and grabbed a blood sample for DNA testing

RaGe said:

How'd you know it was him? 

KC said:

Wheeler, ms69, MB, grammdog, skierX, and I skied quantum leap one spring day when it was mostly moss and pucker brush. Still killed it. THAT was a good day.

I believe we met up with Glen Plake off the Jordan lift a couple hours after that. Am I remembering that right? Memory is a little "cloudy".

I could tell by his Sunday River Gold pass photo.

RaGe said:

How'd you know it was him? 

KC said:

Wheeler, ms69, MB, grammdog, skierX, and I skied quantum leap one spring day when it was mostly moss and pucker brush. Still killed it. THAT was a good day.

I believe we met up with Glen Plake off the Jordan lift a couple hours after that. Am I remembering that right? Memory is a little "cloudy".

have to do something ,even a few angles wind fences. Most of the time it is a sheet of ice that does not hold snow.

Beachphan said:

I don't think reforesting glades is a viable option. At least not a short term solution. What is the survival rate on new trees growing in that enviroment?  What is the capital cost?  What is the end expectation?  The majority of the forest was there for 100's, maybe 1000's of year's before it was devasted by a bad idea.   I don't think I/we will ever see it recover in our lifetime.  I was trying to think of a good use for the area last weekend.  I think the only time it's decent is after a storm or the few weeks in Spring it's + 32 and that side of the resort is still open.  Forturnately there are a ton of places to get your turns in at the resort.

I do like riding there the few times a year it is decent.  

How about constructing a huge banked slalom course down the middle and let the pow build up on the sides? Might be fun,  at least people would use it. 

Why can't they add some snowmaking out there? Refresh my memory.

There's no chance that some evergreen trees would survive?   Trees were there once, right?

I think they would need to plant 1000's of trees to insure a survival rate that would be beneficial and how fast will what survives grow?  Wind fence may be an option, but probably not a priority within the capital budget. It would be great if they could fix or repurose it somehow.

MRG has all kinds of little areas roped off w new trees growing in there as do dozens of other resorts…it can and is being done.

I never knew, maybe that is a viable option for Oz and Flying Monkey?  I just read this - not sure if the White Pine would be the correct species?  Suprisingly it was hard to find information.

A 2ft tall potted White Pine tree can be over 12 ft tall in 5 years, in good soil, with adequate moisture and total weed and grass control. Spacing--single row -16 ft apart, Double row -18ft between rows and plants, Multiple rows -20ft or more between trees and rows.

The White pine tree is a recommended windbreak tree with its fast growth and adaptability. On a several row windbreak I would use other species along with this one and would consider deer activity in the area as they can severely inhibit growth.

I have no doubt the resort could replant and rop eoff.  It would work for the glades, but a snowmaking trail would be problematic.  So many small trees get bent and snapped on snowmaking trails already (Agony and Lazy River come to mind), I can't imagine a sappling getting plastered with machine made surviving too easily.  Of course, Eureka is basically 100% natural these days anyway, so start planting and roping!!!

Well they could just transplant some small trees from other parts of the resort so they would know they can grow there.

Fake Plastic Trees

That is for the music thread. but if we get a bunch of donated old plastic Christmas tress that would be hilarious X~MAS IN OX

jerryg said:

Fake Plastic Trees

I know it was, but hey, it seemed appropriate at the time. Of course we'd then need green plastic watering cans! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service