Views: 1055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You do not think there have been more wind holds this year?  You have missed a few weekends, maybe why?

Wheelie said:

Seems to me when ever the N or NW breeze gets to a consistent 20 - 25 with gusts to 30+ the usual suspects get shut down. This hasnt changed since i have been skiing here.

The wind that gets us is what Wheeler points out, definitely not wind from the east.  We are far too far from the ocean to have an impact.  Max, stick to lifts.  Let Wheeler handle the winds.

Max Hart said:

SR's lift system is aging, and the mechanical holds reflect that. All that deferred maintenance from the last years of A.S.C. is catching up to them, particularly on Barker and South Ridge. 

We get an awful lot more wind because of how far east we are. The closer you get to the oceans, the more extreme the weather. It doesn't take much for a low pressure system to come screaming up the east coast and give us tons of wind but spare more inland locations. The exposure doesn't help either. Prevailing winds blow across the mountain, which is what puts lifts on hold. 

Personally, I don't see why they make such a fuss about the wind. If they cite the Spillway deroping as the idea behind wind holds,  I will just suggest that they read the investigation report. The media blew it out of proportion (as usual) and immediately blamed it on wind, when really a mechanic adjusted a sheave assembly the wrong way and broke one of the turn-buckles that it hung from, causing it to tilt and allowing the haul rope, which was out of position before he did anything to it, to fall right off of the sheave assembly.

I can remember riding the Jordan quad 10-15 years ago and practically getting blown off of the chair. Wind was never an issue, and it shouldn't be, unless of course it is genuinely dangerous to be on the mountain at all during the weather event. Now it's really a joke of an operation when the winds pick up, and they probably won't change until they see a drop in day ticket and/or season pass sales because of it. 

All the lifts on Lone Peak?  Meaning the tram?

Missy, yep windy and at 11K feet far more wind.  Jackson Tram runs in 30-40 MPH winds as doesn't Snowbird tram.

MachSki said:

Agree with this.  They try to keep them open but the winds. An be drastically different at the peaks.  They weekend ShockWave opened I was on WH Saturday morning.  Base of the quad seemed like nothing wind wise, the top on the third ride of the morning was full on hurricane with the chairs nearly hitting the towers.  Obviously got shut down before I got back to the bottom.  Seems like the last few years, we have been stuck with weather patterns that love to drive these type of sustained wind events, probably has a lot to do with being downwind of the Presidentials and on the Eastern flank of Grafton notch.

We are not the only resort.  Jay Peak closes it's upper lifts quite regularly these days for wind and the Saturday I mentioned, SL was completely shutdown (at least we kept Spruce and NP all day on that one).  MB, I've been out to Big Sky and had to deal with wind holds.  All the lifts on Lone Peak have been shut down when I've been there (thankfully Andersite lifts kept turning at least but big elevation difference there between the two).  Western ski areas are a bit less prone probably because the don't get fronts parked near them of the Canadian freezer flow we seem to.

sitzmark said:

A few years ago got more "bold".  Think it was lift 1 that entered top terminal on angle and lift was down for days of repair instead of hours of hold.  Is a safety and risk to equipment issue.

Old Timer said:

Been skiing here since the mid-70s.  Many, many more wind holds in the past couple of years.  Have they just become wusses, or is there another reason?  

I was just talking about the lifts. It's a pattern at every former ASC mountain.

poe said:

It's been over 10 years since ASC.  Time to stop blaming that era. 10 years is more than enough time to catch up on whatever had to be done but I think things have fallen further behind instead. 10 years ago we still had regular snowmaking on Eureka and it didn't take until almost February to get all of Aurora open.

More or less wind holds this year i cannot say, i dont keep track. Regardless if the wind is N or NW over 20 i know we have a potential for holds.
Has the mountian become more gun shy.... IDK???
Has there been more or less 20-25mph+ days this year?

I've been saying for freakin decades there should be wind guards at top of barker from Top Gun to top of lift. Possibly strong fabric like sails that could be on cables that can be operated like a clothes line so they are not open all the time. Have some slices in it to let some wind thru if needed. I know they don't want a big ugly wall up all the time so that why I thought of this solution. Have to try something so more then White Cap is open on wind days.

No, meaning Swift Current, Shedhorn, Dakota, Challenger, Iron Horse (that was pre Moonlight integration).  So yeah, it does happen but not with the frequency we get.

Max, not just the SL incident.  Many don't know because the safeties caught the rope, but Loon deroped the Gondi in high winds a few years ago under Boyne operations.  Beyond deropes, all of the incidents Boyne has suffered in all areas of the operations probably have caused the insurance carriers to clamp down as well, forcing operations to be much more conservative.  My guess anyway.  But I can say for a fact, winds have gotten crazy the past several years.  Of course, I ski more now than I did two decades ago so I have a larger sample size.

MonkeyBrook said:

All the lifts on Lone Peak?  Meaning the tram?

Missy, yep windy and at 11K feet far more wind.  Jackson Tram runs in 30-40 MPH winds as doesn't Snowbird tram.

MachSki said:

Agree with this.  They try to keep them open but the winds. An be drastically different at the peaks.  They weekend ShockWave opened I was on WH Saturday morning.  Base of the quad seemed like nothing wind wise, the top on the third ride of the morning was full on hurricane with the chairs nearly hitting the towers.  Obviously got shut down before I got back to the bottom.  Seems like the last few years, we have been stuck with weather patterns that love to drive these type of sustained wind events, probably has a lot to do with being downwind of the Presidentials and on the Eastern flank of Grafton notch.

We are not the only resort.  Jay Peak closes it's upper lifts quite regularly these days for wind and the Saturday I mentioned, SL was completely shutdown (at least we kept Spruce and NP all day on that one).  MB, I've been out to Big Sky and had to deal with wind holds.  All the lifts on Lone Peak have been shut down when I've been there (thankfully Andersite lifts kept turning at least but big elevation difference there between the two).  Western ski areas are a bit less prone probably because the don't get fronts parked near them of the Canadian freezer flow we seem to.

sitzmark said:

A few years ago got more "bold".  Think it was lift 1 that entered top terminal on angle and lift was down for days of repair instead of hours of hold.  Is a safety and risk to equipment issue.

Old Timer said:

Been skiing here since the mid-70s.  Many, many more wind holds in the past couple of years.  Have they just become wusses, or is there another reason?  

One of the cameras is already down lol

and now its back in action

MAC said:

One of the cameras is already down lol

That west cam is useless...couldn't see anything all day

IMHO they're both pretty badly setup.

Most areas have their cams showing the top of a lift or up a hill. These are both just pointed off in the general direction of (nothing in particluar).

Instead of mounting one on top of NP quad (apparently), put it on the NP lodge which is much closer to the Chondi.

Each of the 8 peaks of SR should have at their own cam.

Timber Way said:

Regardless of placement, it is an upgrade over what was previously available. 

Glade Monkey said:

IMHO they're both pretty badly setup.

Most areas have their cams showing the top of a lift or up a hill. These are both just pointed off in the general direction of (nothing in particluar).

Instead of mounting one on top of NP quad (apparently), put it on the NP lodge which is much closer to the Chondi.

Each of the 8 peaks of SR should have at their own cam.

Timber Way said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service