How about the gondola cabin falling in to the slope at north peak

Views: 3985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Breaking News Newry, Maine January 13, 2018

Due to deferred maintenance issues and safety concerns, The Chondola Ski Lift at the Sunday River Ski resort in Newry, Maine has been taken off line for the remainder of the 2017-2018 Ski and Ride Season. Further details will be available at www.SundayRiver.com as they become available.

Anyone know what this is about?

From where did you get that info? That's a shocking move by mountain ops imo.
Junior said:

Due to deferred maintenance issues and safety concerns, The Chondola Ski Lift at the Sunday River Ski resort in Newry, Maine has been taken off line for the remainder of the 2017-2018 Ski and Ride Season. Further details will be available at www.SundayRiver.com as they become available.

This is exactly what I heard was going to happen last week. I was told that there was some negative press on social media that was wrong about how the gondola actually fell off, so I guess this is a move for damage control. Not sure how true the social media part is, but I did hear the cabins would not be replaced back this season. 

Some quick math tells me that by removing the cabins, the Chondola's design capacity (2330 riders / hour) would be reduced by 25% (down to ~1747 riders / hour) if the lift were to continue running at 1000 fpm (design speed with the cabins), or by 17.5% if the lift ran at 1100 fpm (which to my best knowledge is the max speed of the Agamatic 108 grips). This would drop South Ridge's entire out-of-base capacity to 3635 riders / hour, down from 4218, a 14% decrease given that the Chondola continues to run at 1000 fpm without the cabins and taking into account the average amount / time of stops in the SRX's hourly capacity (resulting in a 31% decrease from that lift's design capacity which has been present for decades). I know what lodge I won't be going to until the resulting out-of-base capacity issue is resolved (Barker is better anyways imo).

This also means that the SRX will currently (on average) have a higher hourly capacity than the Chondola.

Seems like a drastic move if it is only from fake news on social media saying it fell off while in normal use and not moving cabin to storage area. Going to have to bus a lot more folks around from south ridge parking lots.

Max Hart said:

From where did you get that info? That's a shocking move by mountain ops imo.
Junior said:

Ha - it is open right now.

Cabins are going back on line now. Apparently some reports (likely including the one quoted by Junior) were, and I quote (from the experts at Liftblog.com), "greatly exaggerated."

https://twitter.com/sundayriver/status/952269297065316353

That is a load of BS.  Thanks for playing Junior.  They do not defer maintenance on that lift for sure, it gets a full dose every spring since it is a three season lift.

Junior said:

Whew, good to hear.

When I complained to SR Mgt about this when I first read about it yesterday, they said they'd give me my season pass money back if they couldn't get the issues corrected.

Glad they finally figured it out. Very important lift that Chondola is...

Thanks for the great news Max. You around this weekend? Beers are on me if we meet up....

Max Hart said:

Cabins are going back on line now. Apparently some reports (likely including the one quoted by Junior) were, and I quote (from the experts at Liftblog.com), "greatly exaggerated."

https://twitter.com/sundayriver/status/952269297065316353

Was the cabin damaged?

I pretty sure it was. Here it is being hauled away by a groomer past Barker.

Wheelie said:

Was the cabin damaged?

It looks like there is some damage to the frame and window in the top left corner. The hanger arm and grip were also removed, so perhaps they were damaged as well. They have a spare cabin, so the Chondola can still run at full capacity until the damaged one returns.

Levy24 said:

I pretty sure it was. Here it is being hauled away by a groomer past Barker.

Wheelie said:

Was the cabin damaged?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service