Dear community members,

We have hosted this community forum for many years to accompany our website, however, because it is not an official communication channel for the resort we have decided to discontinue it.

In mid-May we will launch an updated version of sundayriver.com, and this transition will mark the point at which we will no longer host this forum.

We are sharing this information now to allow anyone who is actively involved with the forum the opportunity to start their own, if they wish, and invite others to join. 

Thank you,

Sunday River

Views: 3013

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone on here run their own board that could help get a new one going?

Timing seems critical at this point. Mid May is a couple weeks away.

I will def tale on some of the responsibility. Does anyone here know how to get a board started?

I think a closed group on FB is the best and easiest idea.  You can have as many admins as you wish.  I'm very familiar with FB groups, so I would gladly start one.

There is some info here: (This is the hosting company/platform that this board is on):

https://www.ning.com/

Any takers? I can figure out how to get it started. Anyone want to partner up? Zenny? MB? GoBU?

Be a shame to let this die, especially the charitable part of it.

Anyone want to help? We could get it going with a moderator or two, or just leave it unmoderated for the most part.

What happens to Survivor Pool if there is no board?

Got my vote. Not very familiar with FB, but I'd be onboard with this as well.

Escape said:

I think a closed group on FB is the best and easiest idea.  You can have as many admins as you wish.  I'm very familiar with FB groups, so I would gladly start one.

I created a FB page, it's called Sunday River Community.  I have not added photos or description, but the page is there.  If people want to keep it, let me know, I can add admins who can then add photos and descriptions.

Nice job Escape but I know many who do not use FB including me. This wouldn’t get me to start using it. But might work for many others

Love you Chris, but the amount of time you spend on this board, I suspect you can easily learn how to do a board yourself!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ning

MonkeyBrook said:

Nice job Escape but I know many who do not use FB including me. This wouldn’t get me to start using it. But might work for many others

I don't do FB either. It's Evil. Agree with MB.

I would make a decision sooner than later as we will need the membership list on this board.

Ning doesn't look to hard, and there are loads of tutorials online, including what's posted above.

Just need the commitment from a couple people here to do it. Like I said, I will gladly be one of those people, if just for the charitable stuff we do here.

MB? GoBU? Zenny? MissWinter?

ha, thats not the reason.....I am just not a fan of Facebook....this is my Facebook and it includes all my ski buddies.  For all of those other folks, I have plenty of better and safer ways to communicate w them.  My only thought is:  "Save the Message Board"

Escape said:

Love you Chris, but the amount of time you spend on this board, I suspect you can easily learn how to do a board yourself!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ning

MonkeyBrook said:

Wheelie is right. This totally blows. What is it with big corporations and not really understanding what is important. This site is a drop in the bucket for them. Talk about negative publicity.

Very true.  That would have rocked the SR world... :)

There's a core of SR regulars "knitted together" by the SRCB.  Sometimes SR/Boyne cringes at content, I'm sure, but it is a very strong connection with a large group of customers/potential customers that isn't obviously apparent.  

The existing content can be dumped and moved to NING's new platform (if it hasn't already), but the cost for NING's current platform with this many users is a big number.  The two I run are less than 75 users each and somehow grandfathered under the old platform despite NING saying they were going to be shut down.  NING could shut them off any day.

PowdahPimp said:

My giant one-eyed pink snake would still be "lost" without this board...

SundanceKid said:

It is unfortunate that the site will close. Many real-life (not just virtual) friendships have been created through this site.  Multiple charities have been supported. Many people have used/lurked on this site for years to obtain information about the mountain that do not follow other social media sites. 

If another site is created, please send me an invite. Unfortunately I doubt we will be able to preserve the good intel that has been shared on here.  I still use it to look up stuff posted years ago.

A quick look down memory lane:

CTGOSAL

Save Junior!!!

Mulitiple SL/SR or SR/K debates

Multiple sports rivalries

Annual charity events (MASR Football Pool, Christmas for Families, Annual Movie Night for MASR)

Phanga's weekly Name this Trail threads

Honest trail updates

Great long lasting threads (Redsox, Pats, Bust-N-Burn)

Great historical knowledge shared over the years. Back in the day Skip King and Ozskier taught me a lot about the history of the resort.

This list could go on and on.  Please add your highights or lowlights that I have missed.

Mt. Snow has a Ning board as part of their website and their admins/GM regularly participate in it.  I find it interesting that what one company thinks is a valuable way to get in front of their best customers (passholders)  another company thinks they should cut ties with. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service