Just got this email:
Central State Champs - Sugarbush, VT
The event has been canceled. It is difficult to explain and honestly, stomach the amount of melting that all mountains have suffered over the last week from the warm temps over the weekend to the rain and warm winds during the week. Last night an arctic blast brought high winds and soon to be well below freezing temperatures for the next few days. Sugarbush lost most of their mogul course, and the park doesn't have the snow depths to make the events happen. They cannot host the event this weekend and apologize, but Mother Nature left it out of their hands.
We realize that many of the Central Region athletes were depending on this event to qualify for Young Gun and Junior Championships. We will be accepting Petitions for Entry FROM COACHES ONLY. Please work with your coaches to get the NEW appeals link submitted before Monday, March 6.
Spring Shoot Out at Whaleback
Since the newsletter last night, we have heard from Whaleback that the Shoot Out is 90% canceled this year. There is no snow on the trail where they host the moguls event. Registration will NOT open tonight, and we will keep you posted if something changes. We are open to moving this event to another area, if you are able to host. Please contact us ASAP.
Bummer. Just drove up to SR this afternoon via 93 thru Franconia notch. First time up since Friday before President's weekend. Hard to believe we lost this much snow in the heart of winter. Feel for all the competitors.
Junior, on a bright note, your beast resort is throwing down the hammer it looks like this weekend. Extra compressors even rented?! Impressive show.
Saw this as well. We are on our way up to Sugarloaf for Tri-States as I type.
I'm not surprised at all that Sugarbush cancelled. What is a shame is that they waited until the 11th hour and basically screwed over a whole bunch of kids and families. It's surprising to me that K-ton didn't step in and save the day.
Eastern Champs are at K-ton in 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather will be kind and we won't be faced with a similar fate as Sugarbush's comp.
What is a shame is that they waited until the 11th hour and basically screwed over a whole bunch of kids and families. It's surprising to me that K-ton didn't step in and save the day.
I think that is a little unfair. From what I was told they were hoping to work the courses and there was some snow in the forecast for the greens that did not materialize. They canceled the event officially when efforts all failed and it was realized that the damage was far greater than anticipated and the cold weather was coming in on Thursday night. That left them very little time to do anything. Not sure how that constitutes being screwed. Do you realize how much money they lost not having the comp. Mother nature is cruel