Ok, I may be starting to chomp the bit just slightly.  Good place to post some shots from around the hill today.

Middle Punch guns are pulled out and ready.

Locke mid station is ready and waiting.

Speaking of Locke, IIRC the chairs were gray last year.  They are now black and sporting new backrest slats stained natural.  Looks very classic and nice.

The guns in immediate Barker Basin are sporting fully automated HKD Klick hydrants.  Only saw 4 or 5, but interesting.  I believe they can turn these on wirelessly.

Barker lot is a bit crowded with the new chairs for Spruce.  If you are a fan of footrests don't fear, the new chairs will be sporting them.

Views: 39925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, different day and age for sure.  Was fun to ski the Heat (and off Little White Cap with Starlight open too) in May, but those were the years even Loon stayed open into May up on Flume (never went, not sure how you got to/from the snow).  SR pushes early when folks are chomping to get on snow and go fairly late.  But by mid April, even 1 trail only would feel empty most of the time (mid week anyway).  Frustrating a bit for dedicated skiers, especially years like this with trails still covered good but closing down.

Wheelie said:

I understand where your coming from but this would seem to indicate they are not relevant because they no longer stay open until Mid May.

I would suggest they are as relevant as any NE ski resort and more so than most.

doony said:

perhaps the skiers and riders remember when we could ride white heat until mid may, cuz they  wanted to be relevant

Yup you are correct.  That day there were about 50 people skiing.  My crew from the Brown house, the Mad Mad Chalet crew, Donnie Olson's crew with Moraski and Nate Kimble and Mike Pierce and his buddies.  I truly miss those experiences.  We were lucky to have them because no where else and at any time would you see a mountain open for 50 pass holders to rip it up.  Back then it was truly our mountain.  Thank you Les Otten.

SundanceKid said:

I think the latest I skied WH was May 29 and it was lift served.... definitely at least mid May probably 95 or 96

doony said:

perhaps the skiers and riders remember when we could ride white heat until mid may, cuz they  wanted to be relevant

Those were the Good Ole Days.

Patrol BBQ on the shack deck,  watching the same 10-15 people lapping "the pig".. Remember all those guys well.

Hawk said:

Yup you are correct.  That day there were about 50 people skiing.  My crew from the Brown house, the Mad Mad Chalet crew, Donnie Olson's crew with Moraski and Nate Kimble and Mike Pierce and his buddies.  I truly miss those experiences.  We were lucky to have them because no where else and at any time would you see a mountain open for 50 pass holders to rip it up.  Back then it was truly our mountain.  Thank you Les Otten.

SundanceKid said:

I think the latest I skied WH was May 29 and it was lift served.... definitely at least mid May probably 95 or 96

doony said:

Pretty amazing conditions out there yesterday, with a great parking lot party to follow.  Today should be even better!

Wow, today was even better than yesterday.  I can't believe first tracks were to be had across the hill today. ROD:  Downdraft and Vortex....outstanding.  Like surfacing on snow, perfect corn and absolute blue bird day. the conditions and coverage today were better than some winter days.  I skied places on the mt that I could not during the dead of winter.   

Today was very special....

Loaf just announced adding weekend of May 5th.

Agree with everyone about today.  Skied "closed" trails that were as good as I've ever seen them.  North Peak trails like cream cheese.  ROTD was Shockwave with soft bumps all the way.  Headed to the Loaf for tomorrow.  Hoping for more of the same.

Vortex today.  Like surfing. 

Attachments:

Report from the Loaf today:  Just like SR yesterday, only with 128 trails rather than 34.  Plus a little warmer. Get up there if you can.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service