Figured we need a hockey thread with the season about to start.  Don't have real high expectations for the Bruins, but maybe they'll surprise me.

Starting with a throwback to 20 years ago today, which was the closing date of the original Boston Garden. On September 28, 1995, the Boston Garden closed for good after one final exhibition game between the Bruins and the Canadiens.

Many, many great memories there for me...Bruins games, Dead shows (among many others), Celtics on occasion, Ringling Bros circus as a kid, and the list goes on.

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/2015/09/28/the-boston-garden-cl...

Here's one of the pics from the article...I remember in late 1995 driving out of Boston and heading for the loaf, the Garden was half torn down, exposing the inside.  I stopped and bought a single use camera and took a ton of pics...of course I have no idea where they are now but they looked a lot like this...

And of course one gratuitous Bruins pic...

Views: 2998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point Wheeler.

Wheeler said:

3 on 3 = Shoot out = NOT hockey IYAM

real hockey........ 3 forwards 2 defense men 1 goaler....... small barns........ small ice sheets... you know...  Olde Tyme Hockey

5 extra minutes, if no one scores, everyone leaves the ice in shame

So this is for Junior, since you are all bringing up "Old Time Hockey"

Did you catch last night's game in the old War Memorial arena in Johnstown, PA between Pens and Tampa???  followed by the classic "Slapshot" on NBCSN.........Way to ruin a classic film..Bob Costas

I know some canadiens and yankee fans and the only reason they are canadiens/yankees fans is "cause they always win".

Ultimate bandwagon if you ask me. I grew up in Boston so I root for Boston teams.

And like the yankmees what have the habs done lately?
And while i am ranting:
Since when have net minder pads been the size of two 53' box trailers?

From my hometown team's archives when the Maine Nordiques played in Lewiston. When ice was still blue. Old Tyme baby.. my childhood heroes .  I grew up watching "Slapshot" long before the movie was made.

Straight wood sticks with one wrap of friction tape
I knew i could count on Cartman
Yeah and life was so much better without electricity or indoor plumbing. Old Tyme Living, baby!

Bruins have had the Habs number a bit more as of late.  Well except for last year.  I despise those snotty Quebecsicans.

Go Habs!!!!!!

Glad you added "well except for last year" because I had to buy a lot of beer to pay off a lot of bets after the Habs swept the Bs in the reg season last year.  And it actually has been the last two seasons that rouge et blanc has beat up on the black and gold...Montreal took 3 of 4 regular season games in 13-14 (Bs has a 12-game home winning streak against them prior to that) and then beat the Bs in 7 in the conf semis, and of course last year the Habs swept the season series 4-0.  Unfortunately I don't really see that changing much this year.

Hawk said:

Bruins have had the Habs number a bit more as of late.  Well except for last year.  I despise those snotty Quebecsicans.

Icing 'appen when de puck come down....BANG...before de udder guy....nobody der...(you know)....my harm go come ca...den de game stop den start up.

CartMan! said:

Good point Wheeler.

Wheeler said:

3 on 3 = Shoot out = NOT hockey IYAM

real hockey........ 3 forwards 2 defense men 1 goaler....... small barns........ small ice sheets... you know...  Olde Tyme Hockey

5 extra minutes, if no one scores, everyone leaves the ice in shame

So this is for Junior, since you are all bringing up "Old Time Hockey"

Did you catch last night's game in the old War Memorial arena in Johnstown, PA between Pens and Tampa???  followed by the classic "Slapshot" on NBCSN.........Way to ruin a classic film..Bob Costas

Boston is a good hockey town. Montreal is a GREAT hockey town. Went to many games in the old Forum. That place was like Mecca for hockey. The fans really know and understand the game. The Rocket....50 goals in a 50 game season without the benefit of playing against a highly diluted talent pool.

Hawk...they've earned the right to be snobby. Maybe one of the top three sport franchises in history. I guess everyone hates winners, eh? LOL!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service