Figured we need a hockey thread with the season about to start.  Don't have real high expectations for the Bruins, but maybe they'll surprise me.

Starting with a throwback to 20 years ago today, which was the closing date of the original Boston Garden. On September 28, 1995, the Boston Garden closed for good after one final exhibition game between the Bruins and the Canadiens.

Many, many great memories there for me...Bruins games, Dead shows (among many others), Celtics on occasion, Ringling Bros circus as a kid, and the list goes on.

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/2015/09/28/the-boston-garden-cl...

Here's one of the pics from the article...I remember in late 1995 driving out of Boston and heading for the loaf, the Garden was half torn down, exposing the inside.  I stopped and bought a single use camera and took a ton of pics...of course I have no idea where they are now but they looked a lot like this...

And of course one gratuitous Bruins pic...

Views: 2998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's obvious. Besides, I know everything.

Well if you look at from the standpoint that the league no longer wanting to have ties, what would you suggest they do?  I for one hated the shoot out.  Surveys showed that the grand majority of people hated the shoot outs.  So they started trying new ideas.  4 on 4 and now 3 on 3.  So instead of one specialized player having the impact on the outcome of the game, it is a group of 3 player.  I don't think it is that bad and at least there is up and down hockey to watch instead of that stupid shoot out.

What would you do?  I guess we could just go back to having a tie column in the score sheets and split the 2 points.  I don't have a problem with that.

Wheeler said:

No one has appreciation for old tyme hockey anymore
3 on 3........ Pfft
Bunch of flying around euro weenies

Milt Schmitt is rolling over

#growgrapes

Wheeler is not a hockey expert, never mind an Old Thyme Hockey expert. Eddie Shore baby..............

Hawk said:

Well if you look at from the standpoint that the league no longer wanting to have ties, what would you suggest they do?  I for one hated the shoot out.  Surveys showed that the grand majority of people hated the shoot outs.  So they started trying new ideas.  4 on 4 and now 3 on 3.  So instead of one specialized player having the impact on the outcome of the game, it is a group of 3 player.  I don't think it is that bad and at least there is up and down hockey to watch instead of that stupid shoot out.

What would you do?  I guess we could just go back to having a tie column in the score sheets and split the 2 points.  I don't have a problem with that.

Wheeler said:

No one has appreciation for old tyme hockey anymore
3 on 3........ Pfft
Bunch of flying around euro weenies

Milt Schmitt is rolling over

#growgrapes
Why not just turn the game into a skills competition?
That's all you euro weenie lovers care about.
I never had a problem with ties, they have been part of the game forever like hitting and fights.
You euro weenie lovers want to legislate hitting and fighting out too?

Don't lump me in with the euro crowd.  I'm with you.

I played when cages and mouth guards were not mandatory. 

3 on 3 is a better option than a shootout if that is your concern. 

Wheeler said:

Obviously.

Hawk said:

Yeah, I played when cages where above the boards where plexiglass  is now. Remember the "Egg Helmet"???

That being said,... the 3 on 3 is fantastic...shootouts suck ..win or lose...shootouts suck

Hawk said:

Don't lump me in with the euro crowd.  I'm with you.

3 on 3 = Shoot out = NOT hockey IYAM

real hockey........ 3 forwards 2 defense men 1 goaler....... small barns........ small ice sheets... you know...  Olde Tyme Hockey

5 extra minutes, if no one scores, everyone leaves the ice in shame

Zen Master said:

3 on 3 is a better option than a shootout if that is your concern. 

Wheeler said:

The Bruins/ Canadiens "rivalry" is like Yankees/ Red Sox "rivalry"......dozens of championships to like one. Funny as hell.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service