Figured we need a hockey thread with the season about to start.  Don't have real high expectations for the Bruins, but maybe they'll surprise me.

Starting with a throwback to 20 years ago today, which was the closing date of the original Boston Garden. On September 28, 1995, the Boston Garden closed for good after one final exhibition game between the Bruins and the Canadiens.

Many, many great memories there for me...Bruins games, Dead shows (among many others), Celtics on occasion, Ringling Bros circus as a kid, and the list goes on.

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/2015/09/28/the-boston-garden-cl...

Here's one of the pics from the article...I remember in late 1995 driving out of Boston and heading for the loaf, the Garden was half torn down, exposing the inside.  I stopped and bought a single use camera and took a ton of pics...of course I have no idea where they are now but they looked a lot like this...

And of course one gratuitous Bruins pic...

Views: 3075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was at MSG last night for Rangers/Cheesesteaks and saw something I never saw before.

The game ended on a penalty shot in OT. That was a first for me.

Another MAJOR change in the game....OT is now 3 on 3. Loved it. So much open ice. So much great speed and skating with only 6 skaters on the ice.

Rangers/Bruins tomorrow night at MSG to end the home game portion of our preseason.

Game ending on a penalty shot in OT is crazy!  Wonder if it has ever happened in a real game?  Must have, but I've never seen it or even heard of it.

Love the 3 on 3 in OT, should be very fun to watch and hopefully it results fewer shootouts.

Junior said:

Was at MSG last night for Rangers/Cheesesteaks and saw something I never saw before.

Another MAJOR change in the game....OT is now 3 on 3. Loved it. So much open ice. So much great speed and skating with only 6 skaters on the ice.

Rangers/Bruins tomorrow night at MSG to end the home game portion of our preseason.

I'm not sure it has ever happened in a regulation game. I will ask the Hockey G-ds. They will know.

The 3 on 3 OT reminds me of the river and pond hockey we played as kids. (Ya know, the games where one kid always went home missing a tooth or three and his mother would freak out on the rest of us).

Zen Master said:

Game ending on a penalty shot in OT is crazy!  Wonder if it has ever happened in a real game?  Must have, but I've never seen it or even heard of it.

Love the 3 on 3 in OT, should be very fun to watch and hopefully it results fewer shootouts.

Junior said:

The Hockey G-ds confirm an NHL game has never ended with a penalty shot in OT.

There were however 2 penalty shots taken and missed in sudden death OT (playoff games):

Joe Juneau(Wash) missed against Ken Wregget( Pitt) 4/24/96

Aleksey Morozov ( Pitt) missed against Andy Moog(Mon) 4/23/98

Junior said:

I'm not sure it has ever happened in a regulation game. I will ask the Hockey G-ds. They will know.

The 3 on 3 OT reminds me of the river and pond hockey we played as kids. (Ya know, the games where one kid always went home missing a tooth or three and his mother would freak out on the rest of us).

Zen Master said:

Junior said:

all hockey should be played 3 on 3, or 4 on 4...ha ha.

Junior said:

I like the 3 on 3 also.  Fast with lots of action. 

Bruins still have no real scorer this year and will have some issues changing their style I bet.  Hated to see Lucic go to LA.  He will be huge out there.

No one has appreciation for old tyme hockey anymore
3 on 3........ Pfft
Bunch of flying around euro weenies

Milt Schmitt is rolling over

#growgrapes

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I can't speak for fans outside of the NY area, but Ranger fans are pretty serious about Old Thyme Hockey. The Devils weren't really around yet (in NJ anyway), and the Islanders used to have a lot of great fans in their Cup days (79-84), but that has changed due to the teams lack of playoff contention right up until a year ago, but make no mistake, we Blueshirt fans are pretty knowledgeable about Old Thyme Hockey. I can attest to that first hand.

I believe the other 5 original six city's fans are very knowledgeable about Old Thyme Hockey as well.

Wheeler said:

No one has appreciation for old tyme hockey anymore

I expected more from you than being a fan of euro weenie hockey
You don't have a frigging clue about old tyme hockey.
Bow peep knows hockey?
How would have a clue about what I know about hockey?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service