Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a few customers in Southie (the biggest one being Gillette on the outskirts), and the further you get into that waterfront area, the more congested it gets, to the point that during the morning and evening rush hours, it can literally take you 45 minutes to go 2 miles.

This tram system would be a huge improvement and help develop this area for some nice industrial growth. Don't be surprised to see more "yuppification" of Southie if this public transit improvement takes place. New condo's, new industry, new bars, new restaurants, etc.

This would be a HUGE improvement to the area. I could take customers to the North End for some decent Italian without having to get back into the car (and the traffic).

Hope it happens.

Place is a shyt show and is only getting worse. In my work 'hood the Jacobson flower market was just sold for more condos, stores, cars... New Albany street development a couple blocks down - tons of condos (and cars). That's not even considered seaport but they'll be using same roads and transportation (which is only bus now - ick).

But - seems a little worrisome to put MBTA in charge of a gondola system...can't keep ground transportation running smooth as it is. And oceanside wind holds when you need to get to important meeting lmao?!

Build it like the Roosevelt Island Tram in NYC and you won't have to worry about wind holds or traffic.

Film a few movie scenes on it to pay for it.

Need to build a Tram, not a Gondi.

Would be a huge improvement to the area.

MissWynter said:

Place is a shyt show and is only getting worse. In my work 'hood the Jacobson flower market was just sold for more condos, stores, cars... New Albany street development a couple blocks down - tons of condos (and cars). That's not even considered seaport but they'll be using same roads and transportation (which is only bus now - ick).

But - seems a little worrisome to put MBTA in charge of a gondola system...can't keep ground transportation running smooth as it is. And oceanside wind holds when you need to get to important meeting lmao?!

A 3S Gondola would be ideal. Then you get the speed and wind tolerance of an aerial tram with the high hourly capacity of a gondola.

Believe it or not, urban gondolas actually cost less to build than underground train lines, which has made them very attractive for urban public transportation. Urban gondolas are all over South America, ( https://liftblog.com/2016/07/20/mi-teleferico-to-build-11th-gondola... ) and they have been a huge success. 

Junior said:

Build it like the Roosevelt Island Tram in NYC and you won't have to worry about wind holds or traffic.

MissWynter said:

How many nor'easters and how much snow and ice do they get annually in Bolivia ?!  I just see this contraption at the edge of the ocean that sees lots of storms and think "disaster" or "bondoogle". Could be totally wrong. I'd love the Disney Monorail. 

Max Hart said:

A 3S Gondola would be ideal. Then you get the speed and wind tolerance of an aerial tram with the high hourly capacity of a gondola.

Believe it or not, urban gondolas actually cost less to build than underground train lines, which has made them very attractive for urban public transportation. Urban gondolas are all over South America, ( https://liftblog.com/2016/07/20/mi-teleferico-to-build-11th-gondola... ) and they have been a huge success. 

Junior said:

MissWynter said:

South America has gone with single rope gondolas.  Definitely not the best for wind problematic areas as a mass transit system.  Though, a $100 million pricetag, especially if just the first phase, sounds like 3S level technology to me.  While not 100% windproof, much more capable of handling wind.

MissWynter said:

How many nor'easters and how much snow and ice do they get annually in Bolivia ?!  I just see this contraption at the edge of the ocean that sees lots of storms and think "disaster" or "bondoogle". Could be totally wrong. I'd love the Disney Monorail. 

Max Hart said:

Junior said:

MissWynter said:

You sure about that?  I heard 6D with the newer v2.4 upgrade was the way to go. 
MachSki said:

South America has gone with single rope gondolas.  Definitely not the best for wind problematic areas as a mass transit system.  Though, a $100 million pricetag, especially if just the first phase, sounds like 3S level technology to me.  While not 100% windproof, much more capable of handling wind.

MissWynter said:

I've heard both 35 and 40 passenger cabin sizes. Not sure which to believe, but currently the largest cabin size ever on a 3S Gondola is 35 passengers. Either way, a cabin that big would have to be a 3S system.

The most expensive lifts ever completed in North America to date are the Portland Aerial Tramway ($57 million), the Peak-2-Peak 3S Gondola at W-B ($52 million), and the Jackson H*** Aerial Tramway ($31 million). I'm not sure how a 3S in Boston could cost much more than that. On a side note, does anybody else think the cabins in the map are supposed to be terminal locations? If so than that might explain the price tag because 3S gondola mid-stations would likely be extremely expensive. I've never heard of a 3S with a mid-station and/or angle-station. 

Glade Monkey said:

Millennium reportedly produced both a promotional video for it and built a full-scale model of one of the 40 person gondola pods to show off to bigwigs and public officials. 

Image result for millennium partners boston gondola

Yes - given that the Silver Line is currently maxed at peak, not providing relief for that system would be short sighted.

Max Hart said:

I've heard both 35 and 40 passenger cabin sizes. Not sure which to believe, but currently the largest cabin size ever on a 3S Gondola is 35 passengers. Either way, a cabin that big would have to be a 3S system.

The most expensive lifts ever completed in North America to date are the Portland Aerial Tramway ($57 million), the Peak-2-Peak 3S Gondola at W-B ($52 million), and the Jackson H*** Aerial Tramway ($31 million). I'm not sure how a 3S in Boston could cost much more than that. On a side note, does anybody else think the cabins in the map are supposed to be terminal locations? If so than that might explain the price tag because 3S gondola mid-stations would likely be extremely expensive. I've never heard of a 3S with a mid-station and/or angle-station. 

Whoa!!!

You almost made it sound like you work or something....  ;)

Junior said:

I have a few customers in Southie (the biggest one being Gillette on the outskirts), and the further you get into that waterfront area, the more congested it gets, to the point that during the morning and evening rush hours, it can literally take you 45 minutes to go 2 miles.

This tram system would be a huge improvement and help develop this area for some nice industrial growth. Don't be surprised to see more "yuppification" of Southie if this public transit improvement takes place. New condo's, new industry, new bars, new restaurants, etc.

This would be a HUGE improvement to the area. I could take customers to the North End for some decent Italian without having to get back into the car (and the traffic).

Hope it happens.

Nighthawks, 1981 film starring Sylvester Stallone, Rutger Hauer, Billy Dee Williams, Lindsay Wagner, and the Roosevelt Island Tram. Great flick (ok, maybe great is overselling it a bit) and unfortunately way ahead of its time (urban terrorism in NYC long before anyone over here had heard of Osama Bin Laden). Tram scene:

Junior said:

They'll need a gondola when the Seaport District floods.  See what happens when this latest storm hits.  In the future they might need water taxis to get around there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Sunday River.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service